Mung beans are particularly useful because of their capacity to cleanse the heart and vascular system and reduce toxicity. They are a perfect food for humid and hot summer days. Mung beans are cooling and yeild a sweet flavour. They detoxify the body, alleviate damp-heat in the body, act as a diuretic, and reduce swelling.
5 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 tomatoes (not too soft/ripe)
1/4 cup fresh ginger, minced (about a 1 inch square cube of the root, minced)
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
1 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
Sea Salt to taste
Juice from 1 lemon
1. Gather and prepare all your ingredients.
2. Combine turmeric, cumin, curry powder, and garam masala in a bowl and set aside.
3. Place mung beans in pot with the 5 cups of vegetable broth, simmer for 40 minutes. This will thicken.
4. In a large pot, sauté the onion. Reduce the heat and add garlic, tomatoes, and ginger and simmer for a minute.
5. Add combined spices, mix and sauté for another minute.
6. Add beans and their liquid to the pot with the vegetables and spices.
7. Add coconut milk and lemon juice.
8. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro.